2013년 8월 26일 월요일

Review on Wednesday, August 14th.

Reading and Fluency Activities
the Rock of Gibraltar
Noel told me that expression when I hold up the book he gave us before. I found it a little embarrassing when I act like a model student. I often think myself a nerd because many people call me like that although I don’t study that much and I am (I think) social with some friends. I feel embarrassed and upset as many times as I am proud of myself. Anyway, I like the expression. One day, I saw an old couple walking along the steam holding each other’s hand. It was so warm and happy, heartful scene. Although I’ve seen lots of bad things for my entire life, so, I must have learned some of them, but I want to meet someone reliable, someone who I can walk together like them. They must be the Rock of Gibraltar to each other.
 
Were you born in the barn? Noel said this to a teacher who left door open. lol
 
He talked about reading fluency. To increase reading fluency, we should have 1) shorter fixations, 2) appropriate jumps, and 3) less regressions. Then, we practiced to just read some paragraphs without understanding, the eye movement only(timed Repeated Reading). At third time, I recorded almost 500 words per a minute. I must have done something wrong. I should find out right way to do this.
I think this practice should be very useful for me because I have a habit that I tend to say each word inside of my head when I read something. Whatever it is, I do. It sometimes gives lots of fun because I can imagine some scenes very vividly, but it is not helpful when I read some persuasive writing or explanation.
 
- We learn some strategies and practice them consciously, but after a lot of practice, it becomes skills and we can do them automatically without thinking.
 
US Education System & Overseas Preparation
We pretended a secretary of an important person like Ban Gimoon or the CEO of Jeffco(lol. It went bankrupt after minutes) and had to take down some note as he ordered to me. My partner and I took turns and it was so hard, because it required us the sheer listening skill when nonverbal actions are not allowed. However, the content it has was real, everything.
We practiced minimal pairs.... and difficult. Tense and lax vowels! Stops and fricatives and what...... I feel jealous for the children who can fly overseas and learn English from their early time.
 
Writing for Communication
Writing, writing, writing.... Today, Denis gave me back my work for it was too general. I thought it was okay if I could give valid reasons even the topic was general. However, he was not content with my work. He said mine has a too general topic for a paragraph, and I should follow the ruld of T(F)-R-I-C. Topic, focus, and three reasons/illustrations/comments for habit formation! ah....

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기