2013년 8월 14일 수요일

Review on Tuesday, August 13rd.

Speaking and Interactive Communication
We talked about emigration from South Korea to South-East Asia and Learning English in Korea. Those were interesting topics but also a little irritating topic, especially latter one. 
Interesting word: brain-drain.

In the afternoon, we did dictogloss. Brad's dictogloss is different from what I've learned. Usually it is done like a teacher reading and students writing with friends. Today, the way that it was done was interesting. First, I saw a movie clip and describe a half part to a partner and I dictated it to her. She had to write down some key points then later those can help me remind the content of video clip. After my part, she would do the last half as I did, and I would what she had done. Then we checked the content together and should make identical 2 writings(we should write each) which explained the movie clip. We were not allowed to see each other's. 

This required us to describe a situation which is changing constantly, make speech, take note of key points, reconstruct a text at the same time!

It was little tough and I don't think I did enough, but I managed to do. It was not good compared to Brad's explanation, though. Well, he is a native speaker....... I must try harder!

dictogloss : noticing the gap, negotiation of meaning of form, lexico-grammar.

When do we teach vocabulary?
If we want to teach a text fast and in smooth way, PRE teaching.
If we want students REMEMBER the vocab, POST teaching. (ambiguity tolerance, notice the gap)

Babies can recognize the difference of the languages from their 8-month old.
10 month........ what? I forgot.;;
Maybe they would focus on the language which their mothers use.
If you want to raise your kids as fluent bilingual, you should teach them before 7, international age.

Damn.

What is difference between stocking and sock? I forgot....

Pedagogical English Instruction
I slept last night pretty much... about 6 hours, and I have no idea why I was so sleepy that time, the fourth period, usually when I feel real hunger. I just guess now that the braces that I got adapted yesterday made me too tired. I was a bit tired and felt cold even with the AC temperature 26. Usually I am the one who feel hot easily like boys... not that much, but among teachers in the room I'm the one who feel hot too much. There are some characters for body. My body is said to have lots of heat inside, so I cannot eat ginseng. Once, my mom boiled ginseng and gave the water to me as a kind of medicine or tea. I drank it two time a day for two days and I felt sick for three days and couldn't go out. I was in bed all day long. Ginseng is said to give heat to body, so lots of people have it to be healthy but it could be poison to people like me.

We talked some vocabulary about Meta Language. I should look up the books I used to read to check up some words. 
Haram has really good speech skills. I felt jealous for her.

Ah.... It is a shame that I dozed that time. T_T

Teaching Culture in the English Classroom
I don't know what part of this class is related to teaching culture in the English Classroom. However, it is interesting to learn some logical thinking although it is so hard to get used to it! I had never imagined that thinking logically is THIS DIFFICULT. 
We learned/reviewed some fallacies again. A fallacy means a premise that can't support claim.
There are several kinds of fallacy.
Ad Hominen : attack the person, not the issue
Tu Quoque : you're a hypocrite. Someone's saying is not consistent with his/her behavior and you blame for it, although the claim is right.
Bandwagon : everybody's doing it, so should you.
Straw Man : exaggerated claim.
Red Herring : irrelevant topic.
Beg the Question : the premise is the claim, circular argument. 
When I got this information first, it was so confused, but now I got it a little.



댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기